The Methodist Episcopal Church South was an outgrowth of Methodism, but some African-Americans that were converted to Christianity by slave masters desired to have and control their own church. This desire led these formerly enslaved people who had been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to start their own independent religious organization, which was The Colored Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church. It was later renamed the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church in 1956. The Atlanta-Rome District consists of 34 churches in Atlanta and surrounding areas, all within Georgia – the Sixth Episcopal District. The Collection includes programs from worship services, funerals, events and church anniversaries; church histories; minutes from national and district annual conferences; and photographs.
These photographs depict members of the congregation and various church groups at events and at home. For more information about the collection as a whole, please visit the Atlanta-Rome District CME Church Collection finding aid.